Friday, March 16, 2007

Smell of the Greasepaint, Roar of the Crowd

Now that the show is over, and my life starts to get back to normal, I find people asking me why I do theater. Why does left-brained engineer enjoy making a spectacle of himself?? I once asked a gal I know why she does theater, and she told me directly, "I do it to hear the applause." That brings visions of Sally Field... "They like me, they really like me."

Hearing the applause is flattering, but I think I use theater as a vacation from my everyday life. What other hobby can you have where you are totally immersed in a life that's not yours. Lumiere (that's the role I played in the play last week) never had to worry about report deadlines, demanding clients, cash flow issues, or screaming pre-schoolers for that matter. Now don't get me wrong, I really love my life and the path I've chosen, but I also like the diversion, and theater gives me that opportunity.

Theater has also helped me learn about myself. No matter how hard I try, I will never be a dancer, but I can move without tripping on my own feet. I can not sing opera, but I hold my own with Broadway type songs. I do not have the stature to be a leading man (I'm more the silly sidekick type), but I know how to develop a character and make him appear bigger than life. Most of all, I have learned that I can accomplish what I put my mind to. Theater really has been an important part of my life and has brought me many of things I adore; many of my friends, my church, my wife.

Thea surprised me on Sunday and brought Jake to see the show. It was a nice surprise since I did not think he was going to be able to see the show. He also was there for one of the dress rehearsals, and I remember looking out and seeing his face while the show was going on. He was mesmerized. He starred at the stage and never moved (which can be unusual for him). I know you can not force your kids into certain extracurricular activities, but I hope he continues to show interest in theater. I think theater can make you a well-rounded person, by constantly challenging you to step outside of your comfort zone, helping you grow. That's all any parent can ask for their kids.

2 comments:

Thea @ It's Me Vs. Me said...

"Escapism" is definitely up there as far as my reasons to do theatre. It's always nice to do something different to break up the monotony.

Christine said...

Hey Dave! Our kids go to our performances and it's so special for us to share that part of our lives with them, so I know how you feel about Jake attending the show. Hope you're able to breathe a bit now that it's over.