Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Contentment

My church does a large scale musical every year. This year we are putting on Beauty and the Beast. Tough show to do if you are a professional group. So for a group of ordinary, but talented, Methodists, it was quite an undertaking. Well, we open on Thursday, and we are as ready as we are going to be. I think the show is OK, but there are a lot of issues. Being a perfectionist I'm always thinking that things could go this way or that way, or this person could have done their job better, etc.

Before every rehearsal the group sits down and we listen to a devotion. Sometimes these devotions are just a bible passage, or sometimes they are a life story that relates to the drama ministry. The other day, the message was a pick-me-up and meant to boost our morale. At the end of the devotion, a small box was passed around and everyone had to let the angel pick them. The box was full of little pieces of cardboard with an angel imprinted on one side. On the back side of the angel that picked me was a single word

Contentment

This little piece of cardboard made me think... sometimes I'm too hard on myself, on others and on the process. Not just with the church theater, but in life. Sometimes being anxious, or a perfectionist, or anal for that matter does not help the situation. Sometimes it just is what it is, and thats ok. Sometimes its just better to let it go, and be content.

As I read over this post, I began to re-write a section that I thought was worded poorly.... but you know what... for once, I'm going to take my own advice and just let it be.

2 comments:

Thea @ It's Me Vs. Me said...

You are very good at this whole blogging thing.

Mark said...

I agree.