Thursday, March 15, 2007

Donuts with Dad

Ok, well, as you can tell, I have not been doing too well on this blogging thing. With the play ending and work kicking my butt this week, I have not had a chance to write much. Well, I had to write a short bit today about my morning.

I got to take Jake to preschool today because it was Donuts with Dads day. Even though the event only lasts 1/2 hour, its kinda a fun time when the Dad can take the kids to school and see what they do, what and who they play with, etc. I went to Donuts with Dads last year, but only a few dads showed up. This year nearly all the Dads were there. However, some could not make it because of business meetings

After the initial hellos, I watched how the other Dads were interacting with their kids. Some of the dads sat and played with their kids, while others sat and watched while their kids played either alone or with another kid. It is a funny sight to see grown men, some of them well over 200 pounds, sitting in small kids chairs. I could tell some of them were wishing to God the 1/2 hour was over.

I played puzzles with Jake for the first few minutes, then we played blocks with his friend Daniel and then matchbox cars with his friend Owen. After that Jake wanted me to read a book, so we both sat on the miniature couch and read a book. After the first book, one of the little boys came up to me and handed me a book to read. I looked for his father, and noticed that he was sitting on the floor kinda daydreaming, not paying much attention to his son. It kinda made me sad for this poor boy, so I told him to take the book to his father. He did and his father then read to him.

I enjoyed the 1/2 hour, and the time I got to spend with Jake at school. I want to be the type of father who goes to these events, participates, and enjoys the interaction. Getting over involved in work is easy. I'm very lucky that I have Thea who always reminds me that work is not the most important thing in my life. I'm also grateful for mornings like today, when interacting with my kids helps remind me how lucky I am to be a father.

1 comment:

Thea @ It's Me Vs. Me said...

Sometimes it's hard when life is pulling you in 10 different directions to stop and realize the important stuff. This is a really nice post!