Monday, April 19, 2010

Taper - Week 2

So, I've made it through my first week of tapering, and I gotta tell you, I feel more tired than I did during the heavy weeks of training. I'm not sure what it is, but my runs have been tough and body just feels worn down. Last week, I ran about 35 miles, which is about 75% of the week before. My long run was 12 miles, and I was really pooped after it.

In fact, my IT bands were really tight and my knees were sore after that run. I have not changed anything. I'm eating the same, still rolling the IT bands twice a day, and sleeping the same (which is not enough probably), but that run messed me up. My left quad near my IT band is still sore today.

Of course these pains and my performance this past week discouraged me. I fear I'm not going to be able to finish, or that I'll be hobbling across the finish line. I've decided I don't want to just finish this race, I want to be happy with my performance. This may be hard to accomplish since I'm so critical of myself, but I think if I can finish the race the way I've finished the 20-mile runs, I'd be happy.

I also want to enjoy the race. I think back to many other races, and they are such a blur. I'm thinking about pace and catching the person ahead of me instead of soaking in the experience. In my training lately, all I've been thinking about are the pains I'm feeling instead of enjoying the experience and dealing with the pain. I have to remember that running, like life, is a journey that is to be experienced and enjoyed and not just pushed through until the finish.

As I start my second week of tapering, the miles drop even more. My total this week is to be about 30 miles, about 60% of two weeks ago. I need to run slow and consistent. I need to deal with the pain, stretch when I have to, stop when I have to, and enjoy my final preparation. As I was driving last night, I could not believe that in two weeks it will be done. Now is the time to start enjoying it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're goign to do amazing babe. I know it.

Kirsten said...

I agree with you. You have to enjoy the process because if you don't, why bother doing it at all. The pains are there for a reason. Take it easy and maybe rest a little more than your "plan" says. If you've done the long runs and done all the hard prep, you'll be ready...unless you break yourself from pushing too hard at the end. Good luck!!

(Oh, and Thea sent me over. In case you were wondering who I was or where I came from!)