Sunday, February 28, 2010

Longest run to date

I've been running for a long time, but never considered myself a long distance runner. But my decision to run a marathon forces me to run distances I have never run before. This weekend, I ran my first 20-mile run. I was a bit anxious since I've been having a bit of a problem with my IT band causing pain in my left knee after long distances. I've been stretching the IT band and watching that knee, so I was hoping all would go well.

I chose a route that did not start from my house. I first did that because of the snow and how dangerous the sidewalks were around my house, but as the sidewalks were cleared, I kept the route since it was more exciting (kinda like a race) to drive to the start line. I had mapped a 10-mile loop starting and ending at Baker park, and winding around downtown Frederick.

After having a bit of breakfast, I started running about 7am. It was about 30F and a bit windy, but not too bad. Here was what I was thinking during the run

Mile 1 - Boy its kinda cold, maybe I should have layered more.
Mile 2 - I wish the roads were better labeled, I think I'm lost
Mile 2.1 - Ok, now I know where I am. Damn, I'm hot, I wore too many layers.
Mile 5 - Oh no, no sidewalks, I hate running on the shoulder
Mile 6.3 - Shit, I should have turned right on Patrick not left.... better turn around
Mile 8 - Should I stop for a drink and GU, no, I'm good
Mile 10.5 - One loop done, feeling good, will have water and GU
Mile 12.5 - Whoa, whoa....... damn I did not see that ice, I hope I did not hurt anything in that fall
Mile 14 - I feel slight pain in my left knee - better stop and stretch
Mile 15 - Knee is bothering me, but not getting worse, but whats going on with my right Achilles
Mile 17 - Only three more miles
Mile 18 - Need to stop.... will have water and GU.... need to stretch that knee again
Mile 19.5 - This has been the longest mile ever, and both my knee and Achilles are sore
Mile 20 - I did it, who can carry me back to my car??

On the day after, my left knee is sore and my right Achilles is really sore and tight. I'm not sure I'll be able to do my recovery run today, but I'm glad I got through my first 20-mile run. And the best part, I get to do it again in three weeks!

1 comment:

Brooke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.