Friday, February 5, 2010

A 16 miler

Ok, I did it. I ran my 16mile run and it was not too bad. The weather was very nice and felt pretty good for the most part. Here is how it went.

I started out at about 10am. My plan was to run an 8-mile loop from my house, stop and get a drink and GU, and then do another 8-mile loop. The first few miles were kinda tough, nothing hurt, just felt a bit sluggish. The wind was a bit stonger than I expected. weather.com said it was about 10mph. The sidewalks in the area are only partially cleared of snow, so in some cases I ran on the street, or parking lots, and other time I just ran over the snow. As the run progressed I kept a 7:50m/m pace, which felt comfortable. I stopped after 6 miles to stretch my legs and at 7 miles to tie my shoe.

Got back home, got a drink and a GU (and some nipple protection I forgot), and was back out. I felt fine for miles 9 and 10. I stopped and stretched the IT band at mile 11.5. At mile 12 I was running over snow, when I slipped and twisted my knee, twice. I swore so loud I think the passing cars slowed to make sure I was ok. I slowed the pace down, but my knee was ok. I stopped again to stretch at mile 14, but still no pain in my knee. My IT bands felt tight, but no pain. I finished the run at 16.08 miles with an average pace of 7:56m/m. The garmin said 2:07:33, but I was out for about 2:15 including all stops.

Overall, I'm very happy with this long run. I'm also happy my knee was pain free. I think the stretching and foam rolling really helped. I also think going out slower made a difference. I still need to go to the PT, but it'll have to wait until after the big snow storm this weekend.

Next weekend I'm suppose to do 18miles on Saturday. Yikes

No comments: