Friday, May 14, 2010

Recovery

Recovering from a running injury is tough. I spent all winter training for the spring marathon, and ran through snow storms, high winds and low wind chills. Now that spring is really here and its beautiful outside, I'm injured. Since the marathon, I have tried to run every other day, and each time, I can only get a mile or so and the IT band issue stops me. The pain kinda moves around, side of my knee, front of my knee, shin. I have another doctors appointment one week from Monday, and we'll see where to go from here to get this thing fixed.

So, I've been trying different things to try to keep in shape. Been doing some biking, which is nice since I have not biked much in the last few years. Using muscles that I don't use running.... and boy does that seat hurt after an 8-mile ride... I'll keep doing that once or twice a week. I'm lifting weights some to build some strength in both upper body and legs. My inner thighs ache at the moment from the squats I was doing yesterday (probably too much information, huh?). I went to the Y today and did the elliptical for 20min (after my 1.25mile run...argh). I gotta tell you, that elliptical kicked my ass. It uses both lower and upper body, and by the end of 20-min, I was soaked in sweat. If it was more convenient, I'd do that more often.

I'm going to try swimming also. There is a place near my office, where I can buy a 11am-2pm membership for $175/year. During that time I can use either the lap pool, the cardio equipment or the weight room. I have not had the opportunity to look at the place yet, but I will after my travel to Tennessee next week. I think swimming will be harder than the elliptical. I can swim, but I would not consider myself a strong swimmer.

I'm also keeping up with the stretching and foam rolling. Even with the pain at the 1mile mark, I have no pain while foam rolling and my IT bands do not seem overly tight. I'm assuming I'll see a physical therapist after my Dr. appointment and she can tell me how tight they are!

So, as I heal from this injury, I plan to:
  1. Bike once or twice a week
  2. swim once or twice a week
  3. Keep light running, but stop right when it hurts
  4. Other cardio as available
  5. weights twice a week
  6. Stretch as usual

I'd like to run some race, probably a half later this spring before it gets to hot, but if the injury keeps me down, I will run something this fall; shorter races building back to a half.

I can hear the spring weather calling my name......

1 comment:

Mark said...

I have been using P90X and I am starting a master's swim twice per week in June at the outdoor pool. My legs are much stronger.