Saturday, March 13, 2010

Mental focus

As I mentioned in my last post, I've been having this knee issue. I'm pretty sure its IT band problems, but I'm no doctor. So, I have an appointment with an orthopedic doctor on Tuesday to get an evaluation of my knee. In the meantime, I have been stretching, rolling (with a hard foam roller), and using KT tape to aid in healing. I guess it must be working since I ran my runs this week, including 12 miles today, without any knee pain. But as I have read, doing what I'm doing is fixing the symptoms but not solving the problem. So hopefully the doctor and his physical therapist will be able to help me solve the problem. I'll let you know..

Having this knee issue is kinda taking the fun out of running. I find myself thinking way too much about my knee and not enjoying the run. I realize that keeping good form will help me to be injury free, but the running where my mind wonders or enjoys the surroundings is what I'm looking for. But my hypochondria has always got the best of me. For example, I went to the dentist, who took an x-ray of my mouth. After looking at the film, she informed me I had a tooth with extensive decay inside, with no apparent decay on the outside. I also had no pain. She took another x-ray to be sure, and this time the x-ray was clean. She still wanted to do something due to the issue in the first film. She decided to wait until my next visit and look again, but since then my tooth has hurt. The more I think about it, the more it hurts.... typical...

The point is that I have to unfocus my mind on the particular issue of my knee, and refocus my mind on the enjoyment of running. I should be encouraged that my knee was pain free last week, and look forward to better runs this week. I have a big week ahead of me. My next 20-mile run is next Saturday and I'll do the best I can..... as long as my mind cooperates!

No comments: