Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Have you no faith??

OK, I know its been a long time since my last post, but I've been busy. Work is kicking my butt and my work travel has been a bit extensive, so blogging has not been a top priority. But things are a bit more settled down for the time being, and I can write a bit.

Thea wrote a blog yesterday about her faith and got me thinking about mine. I've been reading a lot of fiction books lately based on religious topics (I have had a lot of time to read since I spend many hours in airports over the last few weeks.... check out Thea's blog for those details!!). One of the books was about the Templar Knights and their efforts to hide a secret Gospel written by Jesus where he talks about his mortality and proclaims he was nothing more than a man. The book focused on the early Catholic church and how it fabricated a lot of the Jesus story to build the church and give people new hope. It was interesting. I also read a book that claimed that Jesus was not the only Messiah and that another one, named Sophia, existed and performed many of the same miracles and met approximately the same fate. This book again focused on the early Catholic church and how it covered up the existence of this other Messiah because she was a women. Both books were interesting reads and really made me think. I'd give the full reference for each book, but don't have it here at the moment. If interested, leave me a comment and I'll provide it.

I was discussing these books with Thea last night, and she asked if they make me question my faith. They don't make me question my faith. Faith is the belief in something without proof. Even if I have or do not have proof, it does not change what I believe since I don't need proof to believe in it. In addition, someone once told me that you can not have faith without questions and doubts. I'm a very scientific person, whose training is focused on looking at evidence and drawing conclusions based on the physics of the problem. The idea of God, Jesus, and Heaven defy human physics and logic, which brings large doubt into their existence. But keep in mind that at one time, we thought the atom was the smallest particle in matter. The scientific knowledge at the time could not comprehend any more. But now we have invented things like particle accelerators that have been used in the discovery of quarks, which are the building blocks of protons and neutrons.... oops, we were wrong, the atom is not the smallest particle, now quarks are........ until we find a way to split a quark.

The point is that we can not know what God knows, and even though we follow a set a laws, he may not. We can only prove what is in our ability to prove. I truly believe that the only way to know God is through faith. Sure I have doubts, and my scientific mind is always battling my religious mind, but in the end I realize that I believe what I believe and human fact or fiction is not going to change that. There are things out there that at this point in our evolution we just do not understand, and we may never understand them.

I am also reading a book about the historical Jesus. This book focuses on the man, not the center of the religion. It explores what Jesus really might have been like, and what his real message was. It also looks at how man has interpreted Jesus' message to fulfil earthly goals. Another interesting read. I'll blog about it soon.... no really, I will.... have some faith!

2 comments:

Thea @ It's Me Vs. Me said...

Wow! I'm married to you and even I almost forgot about this blog... : )

You know why I love you? Because you always keep me thinking. Only you can use the word "quark" and make it fit into a discussion on faith.

Anonymous said...

test